Updated: Dec 8, 2022
Although probably dimly lit and a little rough on the eyes, your unfinished basement still has a lot of potential. With just a little love and the help of the following ideas, you can spice it up in no time and get some great use out of the space.
1. Add a pop of color. Give your basement a whole different look without a big renovation by adding some color to your space. Consider painting and sealing the floors, opening up the room by painting the rafters white (or add some drama and go black!), or create a bold accent wall.
2. Divide the space. Want to make your basement a multi-use room? Partition out the area by installing an inexpensive curtain system. This can be done either with a curtain track or a simple wire, some hooks, and curtains will suffice.
3. Add foam mats. Whether you’d like to use the basement as a home gym to get a quick workout in or a place for the kids to play and rough house, adding some foam mats into the mix is a great and easy solution. They come in various colors and can quickly be picked up and tucked away if need be.
4. Use a large rug. As an alternative to adding mats, find a large, eye-catching rug to be used as a focal point, and furnish the area around it.
5. Add lighting. Basements often offer very little built-in lighting and few outlets around the room. Consider stringing café lighting across space from the rafters to give a nice ambiance and glow without any difficult electrical work.
Of course, if you want to completely renovate your basement for added square footage, there are TONS more options for long-term enjoyment of your previously unfinished space. If you've done any basement renovations, share some of your best tips in the comments!
Red Door Agency - Voted Best Real Estate Firm
📪 136 W Main St Kingsport TN 37660
☎️ Office 423.541.0256
📱 Mobile | Call or Text 423.823.1349
*Best of Kingsport 2020, 2021, AND 2022 - TimesNews